It’s a brand new year and if you are serious about your business you’ll know it’s time to roll up your sleeves and make 2017 your best year yet.
It all starts with a plan, but don’t worry I’ve got you covered!
I’ve been geeking it out in ‘the lab’ (aka: my cosy living room), creating a simple plan and some cool resources to help us all ROCK it and start 2017 the right way.
First things first – Before you start you’ve got to be crystal clear on who your ideal customer is. Without this clarity, you may never attract the right people to do business with you.
Some questions to ask yourself:
- What problems can your product/service or opportunity solve?
- Where can you connect with your perfect customer/client online?
- Why are you the best person to help them?
So lets get to it… How to create your social media marketing plan in 6 easy steps:
Step #1 Which social media platforms will you FOCUS on in 2017?
It’s important to remember that each social platform has it’s own unique style, best practices and audience.
- Which are your favourite sites to actually network on? Enjoying the platform obviously helps.
- How much time do you have per day to focus on creating content, marketing and networking?
- What can you automate and where?
You would be better to properly focus on 2 or 3 platforms, than spread yourself too thin trying to be on every social network at all times.
For my business, my main focus for 2017 will be Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest & Instagram. Although I post content to all my platforms, these are my top priority platforms. These are the places I will engage most often and be actively present on. They are also very visual, more casual and suit my style of marketing – no offence to G+ or Linkedin!!
Step #2 Make sure your social media profiles/bio are complete
Time for a social media audit? New year is the perfect time to start all fresh and clear for the year ahead.
I’ve put together some easy to follow worksheets to help you do a DIY Social Media Audit. Get it to get your profiles up-to-date and on brand…
While we’re on the subject of bio’s here’s some things to think about:
SHOW – Don’t TELL!
Show people what you have done, rather than who you say you are!
For example: Instead of saying:
“I am a Social Media Expert who helps network marketers build their business online.”
You could say:
“I have worked with Network Marketers in many companies to create an online brand and an automated business.”
A few other recommendations:
- Use keywords to your audience – Social media profiles are highly ranked in Google, so be sure you are picked up for the best keywords.
- Keep your language fresh – Don’t dwell on the negative, Keep things positive in your bio.
- Answer questions – Why would people want to check out your ‘about me page’, read your blog, watch your videos, learn more about you. Answer – what is in it for your audience…
- Be personal and personable – Who are you, what makes you YOU? You are not just another business owner, share your own unique self, personality and quirks.
- Keep on top of your bio – Make sure it stays relevant. There’s nothing worse than out of date information, links etc.
Step #3 Find your marketing voice and tone
Your voice is your mission statement and your tone is the implementation of that mission!
So have a real think about your business/brand.
- If your brand was a person what kind of personality would it have? For example: Helpful, life of the party etc
- If your brand was a person, what kind of relationship would it have with your customer? For example: Coach, Friend, Teacher, Role Model, Mentor
- Describe in adjectives what your business’ personality is NOT. For example: I’m not a slick sleazy salesman, Not money hungry.
- How do you want customers to think about your business? For example: Their go-to expert.
Step #4 Pick a content marketing strategy
Here are some ideas of content you can create to market on social media. Think how you can share your expertise and passion:
- Blog posts
- Videos – Live video, How To videos, Demo videos etc
- Visual content – quotes, tips, statistics etc
- Text updates
- Content curation (gathering and sharing other people’s content)
A special mention for visual content
Visual content ROCKS!
There has been such a huge rise in visual content in the last few years. All the platforms have had a visual face lift. Making it possible for you to become a visual content rock star!
After all, we are such visual creatures. By embracing them as part of your marketing strategy your content will pack a much more powerful punch,
There are lots of fantastic tools to help you create awesome visuals for your marketing.
My top tip for creating visual quotes, tips, stats etc is to use a SQUARE template (like the image above), it will work perfectly on all platforms which is a massive time saver.
Let’s face it though, not everyone has an eye for design and bad graphics may actually do more harm than good. If you struggle to create your own awesome graphics fairly quickly and easily then it may be better to pay a professional. Spend your time in areas of your business where you shine.
What is the ideal amount of content you should post per day?
It really depends on your audience. You need to find the sweet spot. What works for one person, will not necessarily work for another in the same way.
Tweak the amount of content you share depending on which platform.
Step #5 Analyze and test
It’s really important to find out which content works well for you.
Go back through your stats, take emotion out of it… or as I once heard:
Don’t take an opinion to a data fight!
This process doesn’t have to be mega analytical or overwhelming. All of the social platforms give analytics which are easy enough to understand even if you aren’t an analytical geek!
When you test a new strategy, for example: Asking more questions on your Facebook Page. Check your stats, see how they performed.
Remember that each platform is different and some content may work super well on Twitter and totally bomb on Facebook… Be willing to try new types of content and tweak them as you go forwards.
Step #6 Automate, engage & listen
There are some amazing tools to help you automate many aspects of your social media marketing.
After giving many a shot, I very highly recommend eClincher. eClincher is an oh-so powerful tool for social media management. It’s the bomb at publishing, engagement, monitoring, marketing automation, and analytics.
The neat thing that attracted me to eClincher in the first place is that it recycles your content so you never run out. I use a tonne of eClincher’s functions, and yet I don’t believe I’ve even scratched the surface of what it can do.
Scheduling content frees up your time – BIG TIME. Time that allows you to create fresh content to serve your community, follow up and engage with people, build your tribe. – That is after all what social networking is all about!
So there you go… How to create a social media marketing plan In 6 easy steps! That should get you off to a rocking start for 2017!!
Be sure to click to get the FREE Worksheets – DIY Social Media Audit. Go through all your social media accounts and get clear on where you are now and track your progress. Fill the worksheets in and print them out, rinse and repeat again every 90 days.
If you got value from this post, it would be awesome if you share on Twitter:
Over to you. Are you ready to have an AMAZING 2017?
Let me know in the comments below.